- 2 lb small yellow-fleshed potatoes such as Yukon Gold
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain potatoes in a colander.
While potatoes are boiling, soak onion in cold water 15 minutes, then drain in a sieve and pat dry.
When potatoes are just cool enough to handle, peel and quarter, then toss with lemon juice and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk together onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, and reserved cooking water in a bowl until blended. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste, then add to potatoes and toss to coat. Serve warm.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
From Gourmet June 2003
Photography by erix!
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 3 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 5.5-ounce package soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat (1%) milk
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil 10-inch-diameter pie dish. Slightly overlap 1/3 of potato slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon flour, 1 teaspoon minced chives and 1/3 of minced thyme over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dot with 1/3 of goat cheese.
Repeat layering 2 more times. Pour low-fat milk over potatoes. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour. Remove foil; bake until potatoes are tender and top is golden, about 25 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes; serve.
Makes 6 servings.
From Bon Appétit March 2002
Photography by Stuart Spivak
- 2 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 tablespoons sliced green onions
Cook potato rounds in pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Cool potatoes slightly.
Whisk oil, lemon juice, capers, rosemary and garlic in medium bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
Layer 1/4 of potatoes in bottom of medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons green onions over, then drizzle with 3 tablespoons dressing. Repeat layering 3 more times with remaining potatoes, salt and pepper, green onions and dressing. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.)
Photography by groxie