- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- 4.5 to 6 ounce halibut steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic cloves and grated lemon peel in small bowl to blend. Stir in 2 tablespoons fresh basil and capers. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Season halibut steaks with salt and pepper. Brush fish with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette, dividing equally. Grill or broil halibut steaks until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer fish to plates. Rewhisk remaining vinaigrette; pour over fish. Garnish fish with remaining 1 tablespoon basil and serve.
Per serving: calories, 224: fat, 10 g; cholesterol, 45 mg; sodium, 125 mg.
From Bon Appétit July 1995
Photography by Schmish