- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped fresh fennel (about 1 medium bulb)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 16 ounces penne pasta
Whisk olive oil, tomato paste, vinegar, and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Combine tomatoes, fennel, basil, onions, olives, and capers in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let tomato mixture stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; rinse with cold water and drain again. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to coat. Add tomato mixture and toss to blend.
Makes 12 servings.
From Bon Appétit July 2003
Photography by Nettsu