- 1 (8.5-oz) can of artichoke hearts (in water)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (or 1 small onion)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can of crabmeat
Preheat oven to 375°F.Drain artichoke hearts and finely chop. Transfer artichokes to a bowl and add capers.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook roux, stirring, 3 minutes. Add half-and-half in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in artichoke mixture, scallions, 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, lemon juice, and salt. Gently stir in crab. Transfer to a buttered 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
Bake dip in middle of oven until bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Broil on high for 5 minutes or until top is golden. Serve warm.
Cooks’ note: The dip can be prepared (but not baked) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Makes 8 servings.
Photography by SauceSupreme